Saturday, February 5, 2011

what is your name?

It has warmed up!  Seventies And Sunny.  As described by the man with the marble driveway, this is the time between the cold and the hot that is just right.  Our neighborhood has come to life-- almost a bit too much for our shy-Seattle selves-- everyone wants to know who we are.
I'm not sure if we have mentioned this before, but we are stopped constantly by anyone and everyone.  When I am out and about with Violet everyone wants to know:
1) Who we are (excuse me, what is your name?) 
2) Where we're from
3) Where my husband is and what he is doing here

Then, once we get that out of the way, the camera phones come out and we have to stand and pose for pictures with the various ladies of the group who are constantly trying to get Violet to kiss them.
I think we are getting to be a bit known around here.  Because of the no-sidewalk situation, and the very fast car situation, I carry Violet everywhere we go.  And, because we don't have a car, and because we are the walking types, we trek all around the city, just walking.  (We do take the rickshaws quite a lot too, but in general if we can, then we walk).  We are starting to see that this is something that isn't really done here.  If you are anyone, then you either drive or your are driven.  But, you don't walk.  People are always asking us where on earth we are going!  And why we don't have a pushchair (a stroller) for Violet--  which I don't understand because I haven't seen a single person using one here, as it would be impossible to use on these streets; I am constantly hopping on and off of the road onto grass-curbs, or around brick piles, or running to avoid the oncoming slew of motor-rickshaws or stray dogs or tomato carts, or bonfires; the idea of a stroller is a bit laughable.
Anyway, we are the talk of the town.  I keep getting invitations for tea.  The other day I was in the park with Violet and this older woman, (a nanny) and a little 2-year old girl named Gia were there, so we started chatting.  She insisted that we have tea with her, which we did, and it was very fun, although I don't think the girls liked each other much.  Gia started hitting, and Violet kept asking to go back to India Home.  The woman's name was something like "Koosoo" (although I'm sure this wasn't it; she couldn't understand what my name was either).
Also, the other day I was walking up the street and this woman dressed in a beanie-cap and some kind of Western sports jersey ran out and said her name was "Bobby", and asked if I would hold on a second because her friend (who turned out to be an older lady dressed in a gorgeous and very elegant sari) had lived in America for a little while (New Jersey; no, they don't know Kavita's family-- I asked) and wanted to meet me and say hello to Violet.
The women here, now that it is warm, are coming off and down from their balconies and are so incredibly kind.  It's a very strange thing to come from Seattle, where I am virtually invisible (especially now that I am a mom) to being in India where it is truly the complete opposite;  being from America and of lighter skin definitely draws attention, but the fact that I am a mom with a child is absolutely celebrated here in a way that I never thought imaginable.
Anyway, lots to think about.  Meanwhile, the green birdies sing.



No comments:

Post a Comment