Sunday, July 11, 2010

pack 'n play

We have this portable bed that we are planning on taking to India for Violet-- a pack 'n play.  It looks like a fairly normal crib when it's set up-- but then you push a few buttons and it collapses into itself, and you stuff it into this 4-foot carrying sack.  It has been very convenient for us in the past when we've traveled....    



...But I keep thinking about it.  I can't stop.

At 3am I am awake in bed picturing our arrival in India-- we're carrying Violet, suitcases, backpacks, and then this enormous pack 'n play.  It is about as easy to carry as a box full of trombones--  this cumbersome rectangular thing with one little meshy handle sticking out the top.  I picture the scene-- trying to find this thing as we get off the plane, thrown around with all the other cargo-- and then there we are trying to make ourselves as small as possible as we move through a crowded airport, running into people, dropping stuff, shuffling Violet with everything else.  
By 4am I have moved on-- assuming it actually arrives in India still bound together in one piece, and assuming we somehow manage to locate it and get it out of the airport---  I drive myself crazy wondering if we are going to have to puzzle piece ourselves and all of our bags and this pack 'n play into one of these to get to our new home.....


And then around 5am, assuming we manage to get to our place of residence, I start wondering if the pack 'n play is even going to work for Violet by January.  Will she be too big by then to sleep in it?  Will it fit in our room?  Will she be able to climb out of it by then?

Like a good American mother, I have rigorously trained Violet from day one to sleep in her own bed because I was told by everyone that having her sleep with us would be a hard habit to break, and wouldn't work well for anyone involved.  But now that we are going to India, I wish that we didn't have to worry about her having her own separate bed.  Also, in a foreign land, I feel like I am going to want to have her tucked safely in between us at night.  But she is so trained now, and every time we have tried to bring her into bed with us it turns into a bit of a circus.  She stands up and looks down at us and laughs.  She crawls around and is too excited for sleep. I feel like she's going to fall on the floor while we're sleeping (if we don't roll over and crush her first)-- and then she'll started moving around the dark room playing with the electrical outlets; pulling bureaus onto herself; falling out the window.
These are the everyday worries of a mother--  adding India to the equation doesn't help.
But then I breathe a bit and think that maybe we just need to give in, and make it work, and decide that bringing this bed to tote around India just isn't something worth doing.  Maybe we just need to make ourselves adjust.  But also, maybe, it represents a sense of safety for me-- of security.  --Violet will be fine, if only I can provide her with the normalcy of her own bed.  And maybe this is true.
Anyway, I can't seem to come to a resolution.
See you at 3am.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment