Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dinner time...



The more food experiences we have with anything surrounding India, the more excited I get. Last week we picked up with dishes from Trader Joe's - ready-to-eat packets of "Indian Fare." I was skeptical of their quality until I saw they were actually made in India.



They both were very good with unique flavors. The Dal (black lentils) was spicier than the Choley, and had a deep tomato-cream base that we great. I wasn't looking forward to the chickpeas ( I mainly got it because it said Punjab on the box) but they were better than I thought - it also had a tomato base. I didn't realize tomatoes were so prevalent in Indian food, but like Italian, they form the base for many sauces in a lot of different dishes. Not native to India (nor to Italy) the tomato seems to be a more successful conquerer than the British, Dutch or Portuguese!

We had these two dishes on separate nights with a marinated pork tenderloin. I used this recipe below - one day in the fridge in a ziplock bag, cooked on the grill.
  • Indian Spice Paste:
  • 4 large cloves garlic
  • 2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons water


I am blown away by the spice mixtures and the intensity of them all - even without heat. I also didn't realize so much coriander was used. Violet seems to enjoy it all, although we are being very careful and cautious. This house sure smells like Indian food!
--Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment