Monday, January 31, 2011

sick.

Our Violet is sick.  As happy as ever, but with a river running through her.  She calls out "poop gas!" and then moments later we usually have to change not only her diaper, but her entire outfit.  Luckily, we brought some powdered antibiotics with us from home, so we started her on those and are waiting for them to kick in.  She seemed a bit better today, and dined on rice and bananas and yogurt.  
But can I just take a moment and say how scary it is having my child be sick here?  I knew it would happen (and, really, it isn't that bad.  I mean, it could be much worse...in fact I think I've seen it worse at home).  But being here is hard because I keep convincing myself that she has typhoid, or some other awful thing.  Then, moments later, I think that maybe she's just getting more teeth.  
A mother worries.  

I called the school today and said we wouldn't be in for at least a few days.  We had a very low key day at home, playing in the back yard (I think we might need to find one of those when we get home...), and making up all kinds of funny little games.  She is having to get very creative here (which is great!) because we didn't really bring much from home for her to play with.  So, what does she do?  She makes a "book parade" of course!  She came up with this all on her own this morning.  After working very intently for about forty-five minutes, she came up to me and said "book parade, mama!" and I looked down and saw that she had arranged every single one of her books (4 Dr. Seuss books, 2 Curious George books, Goodnight Moon, and a free bath-book from Finn-Air) end to end across the living room in a straight row, making a parade.  Something about this really touched my mommy-heart.  This sick little thing, not realizing that she should be having a lousy day, just sitting quietly, being creating and clever.   
I'll keep you posted.  Any tips on how to handle this would be great.... 




6 comments:

  1. i love the book parade!
    eating burnt toast (or "activated charcoal") is supposed to be good for diarrhea. the carbon will absorb toxins and reduce fluid loss.(it will make her poop black, don't worry.) and also drinking lots and lots of water is important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, if it's due to teething chamomile is supposed to be good. hope that's helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi rachel! i just sent you an e-mail all about diarrhea. enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys! Thank you so much for all of the advice. Sen, don't think I got your email (did you send it to racheljesprague@gmail.com)? I have abandoned my yahoo account due to spam and can't seem to log in anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I was indeed using your yahoo account. I just forwarded a couple of recent e-mails on to gmail for you. Does Tyler still use his gmail?

    ReplyDelete